After the July 4th recess, the Senate is set to vote on a health care bill which strips insurance from 22 million Americans, guts protections for those with preexisting conditions, and brings back lifetime caps on care.
Put simply, this bill is a threat to UAW members, UAW retirees, and UAW families. Please take action today — call your Senator at 1-313-528-6780.
This bill is terrible for millions of Americans, is opposed by many Democrats and Republicans alike, but it is particularly bad for UAW members in a few ways. The bill: Cuts Medicaid by over $800 billion which could hurt many UAW families who have loved one’s getting long-term care;1
- Brings back lifetime limits on care for millions including many UAW members – meaning someone with cancer might be cut off during treatment;2
- It guts preexisting condition protections which means some UAW families will have trouble getting coverage or will get worse coverage;3
- Could cause premiums to skyrocket for UAW members with employer-based coverage which could affect future negotiations – Medicaid cuts will cause hospitals to have massive uncompensated care costs which will be passed on to all of us with employer-based coverage;4
- Reduces Medicare’s solvency by 4 years by getting rid of taxes on millionaires and billionaires stock market income.5
Put simply, this bill is a disaster for UAW members and our families.
Tell your senators to stand with UAW members and our families and say “No” to this devastating bill.
GET THE FACTS:
1. G.O.P. Health Plan Is Really a Rollback of Medicaid, The New York Times, https://goo.gl/WuR7pf, 6/21/2017
2. How the Senate’s Health-Care Bill Would Cause Financial Ruin, The Atlantic, https://goo.gl/u7mV2r, 6/23/17
3. Promises Trump made about health care that repeal plans haven’t kept, USA Today, https://goo.gl/txJ6no, 06/24/17
4. Hidden costs will hurt everyone, Modern Healthcare, https://goo.gl/RtoVc8, 3/18/17
5. GOP Repeal Bill Depletes Medicare Trust Fund Faster, Talking Points Memo, https://goo.gl/t661vU, 3/10/17
Other users read these articles next...