Message to Members from Rory Gamble on Reforms
- Establishment of a UAW Ethics Officer – The establishment of an Ethics Officer who will not be an employee of the International Union, but rather an external position to investigate allegations, complaints or matters referred to them by the Ethics Ombudsman or IEB. To that end, we are beginning a national search for an Ethics Officer immediately.
- Establishment of an Ethics Ombudsman – The establishment of an Ethics Ombudsman to receive, review and respond to ethics complaints and allegations.
- Establishment of an Ethics Hotline – The UAW will set up an Ethics Hotline to encourage those who may have concerns about or want to bring attention to potential ethics violations. The hotline will provide members and employees the ability to anonymously and confidentially submit allegations or complaints about potential violations of the UAW’s Ethical Code and other relevant policies.
- Policy for Recovery of Misuse of Funds – The introduction of a new policy that will enhance enforcement against those who have been found guilty of misusing funds and our commitment to seek recovery of all misused or misappropriated funds.
- Accounting Policy – The implementation of stringent monetary controls that increase oversight by the UAW Accounting Department over the finances of our union.
- Charitable Contributions – The banning of all charitable contributions from UAW joint program centers, vendors, or employers to any charities run or controlled by UAW officials.
- Joint Programs – The enactment of accountability measures to the Joint Programs, including that purchases of promotional items using joint program funds have been permanently banned and all expenditures will be controlled, monitored, and regularly audited by independent public accounting firms.
We intend to sell Cabin Four at Black Lake. Cabin Four and its related property at the UAW’s Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center will be put up for sale.
I would like to add that this is just the beginning, but it’s a beginning that I hope will set us on the right path for the future. I look forward to working with you in the months to come.