Facts About UAW Strength in the South
√ We are and have been in the U.S. South
- Over 55,000 UAW Members reside in communities throughout the South
- Over 66,000 UAW retirees in the south
- Over 13% of all active UAW Members are in the South
√We are organizing in the South – it’s not just high-profile
- Over the past year Five southern locals have joined the UAW with over 1,323 members in Texas, Tennessee and Kentucky.
- Almost 3,000 organized since the VW vote in 2014.
√ Among many UAW Products:
- In Kentucky, UAW members make whiskey barrels, Corvettes, Fords, steel and nurse patients.
- In North Carolina, UAW members make heavy trucks through Daimler, Freightliner and Thomas Built Buses. In South Carolina, members make auto and truck parts.
- In Tennessee, GM SpringHill makes SUVs, Lear makes auto parts, Caterpillar and Archer Daniels/Midland make machinery. There are 24 locals in Tennessee alone. Another five are in neighboring Mississippi.
- In Texas, GM makes trucks in Arlington and aerospace parts with Lockheed, Raytheon and Voight.
- In Alabama, members make aircraft parts and automotive parts in 11 separate locals.
- In Florida, UAW members make aircraft parts, auto parts for Chrysler and even represent Jai Alia dealers in over 35 different locals.
- In Virginia, UAW members make Volvo Trucks, make auto supplies and even package peanuts in 14 Local Unions.
- In Georgia, UAW members make auto and truck parts in 21 local unions.